Apple Store in Amsterdam Evacuated after iPad Battery Overheated

Apple Store in Amsterdam Evacuated after iPad Battery Overheated

An Apple Store at Leidseplein in Amsterdam was evacuated and temporarily closed today, likely after an iPad battery overheated. Sunday afternoon, at 2:20 PM the Amsterdam Fire Department tweeted that there was “no smoke” at the Apple Store, but “3 people with breathing problems”. A spokesperson for the fire department said: “there is probably a leaking battery pack”. Employees immediately placed the iPad in a container with sand, and the store was evacuated as a precaution. The three people who suffered from breathing issues were treated on site.

The breathing issues may have been prompted by chemical vapors or other irritating substances from the iPad battery. Fortunately, there does not appear to have been any significant injuries or damage. At around 3:00 PM, the employees and the customers were allowed to re-enter the Apple Store as usual.

It’s unclear if the iPad battery pack was an official part from Apple or an aftermarket replacement, or if the battery exploded because of improper handling by a Genius Bar technician. All in all, these incidents are quite rare, but a very small percentage of lithium-ion batteries do pose a risk of overheating, swelling and bursting open.

You might also like